I once travelled happily alone. Then the most beautiful thing happened and suddenly I was half of two; two became one. But before I could start to document our life together, his life was tragically gone. My darling Ems is now in the bright lights of Heaven and I remain. This is the story of my journey from here. Gratefully a journey that One whose ways are above all of ours takes with me. One day I'll reach those bright lights for myself but until I do, join me on my journey, keeping memories close.



Wednesday 20 January 2010

Changing things (as sung by the man himself)

It's been a wordless few days. I insist on not forcing words out for this blog so I hope you'll forgive a few days silence from time to time. I started with a commitment to honesty and it will remain that way. Sometimes the words just don't come.

As I don't have anything of my own right now, I thought I'd allow someone else to say a few words...He's sung them for you.

I only found out that the following recording existed yesterday. It's Ems. Nobody else's words could go hand in hand with mine like his. I told you his life would still speak through my experience.

This is the last song he wrote, well the last one that got to the stage where he'd perform it (there were always hundreds swimming around his head). Ems had covered many genres of music in his time and this is one of his quiet acoustic songs. He and I wrote this together (i.e. I helped with a few of the lyrics*) to go with a message I was giving in church the following Sunday. Far more people will remember his song than they will any of the words I had to say...and many more will hear it now.

Music has power. Ems music told his story. One of Ems wise, insightful friends has commented on this since his passing. As one who'd known Ems far longer than I, he said something like 'before Ems found his faith, his music was his way of getting out his frustrations at life and at himself. Once he found faith, he didn't have those frustrations anymore and was free to just enjoy his music.'

Ems faith poured out through his music. Ems tells three stories in this song. The first is a woman who was desperate to have a child. The second is of a man who stood alone for his faith against everyone around him. The third is Ems own story.

Incidentally, this was just a rough recording he did so a friend of ours could learn the song to sing it with him. I didn't even know he'd recorded it till she brought it round yesterday (thank you so much - you know who you are). I've loved hearing it again.

I've put the music to some photos of Ems with his guitar. Don't let them distract you - he would hate to think any image had distracted you from the music itself! I've also pasted the lyrics below.

Prayer changes things. Never have I known that more than the past 8 weeks.




Lyrics to 'Prayer changes things' by Emrys Davies


Weeping & hungry. Downhearted & lonely.
Through water & fire, Her one desire, stays unfulfilled.
Childless & aching. Her tender heart breaking.
Yet through the tears, all of her fears, she gave to God.

Barren. Empty. Weeping. Hungry.

Prayer changes things
God changes things
Holy God
Rock like no other
He answered her prayer.

Full of faith, waiting. Alone for God, fighting.
His anticipation, to see his nation, open their eyes.
He readied the altar. His faith never faltered.
O how he yearned, for their hearts to turn, he called out to God.

Desperate. Grieving. Eager. Believing.

Prayer changes things
God changes things

O Lord our God
God of the fire
He answered his prayer.

Far away, longing, the wilderness calling.
I wandered confused, broken & used, I cried out to God.
The darkness surrounding. The silence resounding.
Alone on the floor, He opened the door, brought light as I prayed.

Desperate. Distant. Lost & defeated.

Prayer changes things
God changes things
Light in my darkness
Strength in my weakness


You answered my prayer

Prayer changes things
God changes things
He knows & hears us

Take it to Jesus
He’ll answer your prayer



[Memory #5 The 'Songwriting' episode

I don't think there are many moments that excelled the excitement of writing a song together. Both of us using our creative skills to bring something together for other people.

I'd muddled with poetry but had never written a song in my life before. Ems was a pro but said he always found the music easier than the words.

We worked together on the words. I left the music completely to him.

I still remember being amazed with what he'd come up with in a short space of time.
And by the time he came to play and sing the song to others, he'd developed it further.


There was nothing like seeing Ems singing his heart out. The fact I'd had a little part in this song he was passionately singing, naturally was a great joy for me too.

I'll always remember fondly the evening we spent writing this song together.]

1 comment: